describe here

Placer County Marriage License

Placer County Clerk-Recorder's Office
2954 Richardson Drive map
(Placer County Administration, in the DeWitt Center Complex)
Auburn - California 95603
ph. (530) 886-5610

Hours – 8am until 5pm – Monday through Friday

Marriage License Information

The State of California issues two types of marriage licenses: a regular and a confidential license. Each license must be used within ninety days from the date when it was prepared. It only becomes valid when a marriage ceremony is performed within that 90-day period, and the license is signed, witnessed, and returned to the county which issued the license. A couple who intends to marry may go in person to any county recorder's office. (A comprehensive list of all counties may be found here.) Please bring a valid picture identification and $56 for the license fee (in cash). The couple must also be prepared to provide the full birth names of their parents, as well as the state or country of birth for each of their parents. (If either party had been previously married, he or she will also be asked to provide the date of the most recent dissolution of marriage.) Future certified copies of the license are available for a fee of $13 per copy.

A confidential license was authorized to address the circumstances of a co-habitating man and woman whose neighbors, associates, perhaps even family, all assumed that they were married. Due to the confidential nature of this type of license, future copies of the license may only be requested and issued to the couple; it is not a public document, nor may it be used as such. Lastly, it may only be used within th county where the license was issued. The costs for this license are extra.

Going west on Bell Road, you want turn left at the third street, Richardson Drive, that enters the DeWitt Center (the road after you pass the sheriff's substation). Take a left, and go south for two blocks; the new "L" shaped administration building is on your left. Park wherever you may.

The recorder's office is in the newest of buildings in the DeWitt Center Complex. As you come to the building, the recorder's office is through the doors on the left.

Placer County Clerk-Recorder
Fax: (530) 886-5687 —

Relevant California Statutes

Family Code Section 307

This section, so far as it relates to the solemnizing of marriage, is applicable to members of a particular religious society or denomination having clergy for the purpose of solemnizing marriage or entering the marriage relation, if all of the following requirements are met:
(a) The parties to the marriage make, sign, and endorse on or attach to the license a statement, in the form prescribed by the State Department of Health Services, showing all of the following:
(1) The fact, time, and place of entering into the marriage.
(2) The signatures and places of residence of two witnesses to the ceremony.
(3) The religious society or denomination of the parties to the marriage, and that the marriage was entered into in accordance with the rules and customs of that religious society or denomination. The statement of the parties to the marriage that the marriage was entered into in accordance with the rules and customs of the religious society or denomination is conclusively presumed to be true.
(b) The License and Certificate of Declaration of Marriage, endorsed pursuant to subdivision (a), is returned to the county recorder of the county in which the license was issued within 10 days after the ceremony.

Family Code Section 400

Marriage may be solemnized by any of the following who is of the age of 18 years or older:
(a) A priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination.
(b) A judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages, commissioner or retired commissioner, or assistant commissioner of a court of record in this state.
(c) A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office.
(d) Any of the following judges or magistrates of the United States:
(1) A justice or retired justice of the United States Supreme Court.
(2) A judge or retired judge of a court of appeals, a district court, or a court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior.
(3) A judge or retired judge of a bankruptcy court or a tax court.
(4) A United States magistrate or retired magistrate.
(e) A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office.

Family Code Section 401

(a) For each county, the county clerk is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages.
(b) The commissioner of civil marriages may appoint deputy commissioners of civil marriages who may solemnize marriages under the direction of the commissioner of civil marriages and shall perform other duties directed by the commissioner.